Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Chapter Seven-Questions Answered and Possibilites Arisen

Chapter Seven
Questions Answered and Possibilities Arisen


Spencer watched Melly as she danced with her future husband. The party was over, and people were cleaning up what had been used for the dance floor. She was joking and they were dancing like children, doing what he had called 'the Polka from that one play'. They looked childish, hopping like that. He stopped, and took her face in his hands. He leaned down, and she took her face away, and his lips landed on her cheek.
     The man stared at his young bride with hurt displayed in his eyes. She looked away.
"Hey! Are we late? Phil, ya little shit, you told us the wrong time!"
Melanie's fiance looked up at the band of misfits that came in the door. He changed his expression, the way Melly could do it, on a dime.
"I did that on purpose, Tom-cat!" he yelled.
Melly turned. "Tommy-cat? Are you serious? You told them?!" Melly slapped Phillip.
"C'mon, Miss Mel," the boy called 'Tommy-cat' touched her face,"You're still just as stubborn, aren't ya?"
"I'M STILL CARRYING MACE!" she screamed, another boy from the gang laughed. "So," Melly sighed, sitting on some platform Melanie's mother had carted in here for a stage,"You're still a buncha JD's?"
"When were we ever JD's?" asked a tan boy, with pointed spikes for hair.
"Zayn, when weren't you JD's?"
"Cut it. Both of ya," cried Tom cat, proceeded by a belch."Mel, you're the fuzz now, right?"
"The highest form of fuzz," shouted a boy from the back, with curly bright, blonde hair.
Melly clicked her tongue. "So?"
"So, we can't be seen with ya!" cried Tom cat, swishing his honey hair. "One more question, Mell-a-roo. Are you like them otha cops?"
"Naw," Melly said, stretching. "Cuz those cops, the believe everything they read in the papers about you cruddy JD's. But that's what you give em, right? Something to believe in?"
"You better believe it, Mel, babe! 'Course, we learned from the best..."
"I wasn't any JD!"
"Naw, but ya friend were. Have you noticed how since we started talkin', you've been talkin' like me?"
"...Oh....You can't rub off on me Tommy Djalas! I'm a lady."
"Yeah, yeah."
Zayn locked arms with the blonde-haired boy. They and Tom cat mimed together,"'Remember Mr. So-and-So, remember I'm a lady.'"
Tom cat said,"Mel, that's all that ever came outta ya mouth! When you was young, anyways...now ya really are a workin' class woman. How many guys have ya got on your sleeve since little lovestruck, Philly?"
"Oh, no, Phillip and I always have been together. A few weeks ago, July 25th, I caught up with him again down in Quantico-his father was here-and we reconnected. I really missed him."
Phillip looked at his bride,"I missed you," he kissed her neck, then spun her around."I LOVE MELANIE RENE WILKES!! I LOVE HER! I LOVE HER! I LOVE HER!"
"Phillip! Stop that! Put me down!"
"I love you, Melanie Wilkes." He tried and failed to kiss her again.

"Do you see that, Reid?" Prentiss asked, the team returning from training still lurked at the corner, with a bar the caterers set up for guests. Prentiss and Reid were chugging them. "Reid? He keeps trying to kiss her, but she won't let him. Reid?"
     Reid wasn't listening, he was stuck in his head. "July 25th, I caught up with him again down in Quantico..." "July 25th we were working the Texas case..."
"What, Reid?"
"Nothing." She lying, but to who?

"Phil, it's late, I need to go home."
"I'll go with you, Mel-"
"No. You know how I feel about that. Charlie will need me home anyway."
"He told me he was moving out of the place you two shared."
"Oh...well...I still need to go home."
"I'll check on you tomorrow?"
"No, no, I'm working. I'll call you when I have free time, I promise."
Phillip looked at the ground. "'Kay."
"Smell ya later, Mel-babe!"
"Call me that again, and I'll taze ya!" and she left.
*****************************************************************************************************************
Melanie brushed out her hair, she watched as it curled around the brush, and sighed at all the hair that was coming out.
"It's not just breakage, that's falling out."
She walked down to the kitchen, humming a tune she wasn't sure she had heard before. She let the never before made music flow out. "My father bought it secondhand, from a silent movie star. It was out of tune, but still I learned to play. And with each note we each would smile, forgetting who we are, and all the pain would simply fly away-HEY!" Melanie screamed and clutched at her chest. Seeing the uninvited guest sitting in her living room. She fumbled for her inhaler, and took several puffs, then fumbled for a paper sack, to calm the hyperventilation.
"I wanted to make sure you were okay, so I was coming over, but I saw you hide the key. Anyone could be sitting here, just letting you know."
"Reid! I-I-I...This isn't something you would do!"
He chuckled. "I know! Isn't weird? I've been doing a lot of things out of character lately."
"Huh," Melly breathed labored,"Dynamic character."
"Why don't you sit?"
"Don't invite me to sit in my own house!" she sighed, and flopped next to him, letting her curly hair, which she had wrapped into a bun, fall into his hands. He gingerly touched it, letting the softness linger on his hands.
"Speaking of, is Charlie home?"
"Nope. He did move out. Haven't you notice? The whole marriage and leaving me? There getting rid of me, Reid. When I'm married, I'll have to move to France."
     Reid went pale. "What?" his hands shook. "They can't take you, Melly, what reason is-"
"Phillip Dufour is the son of a French Viscount. He moved here to learn things not offered over there, and he moved back later in life. His father also works with the Ambassadors of America. His father is getting old, and Phillip is an only child. He is going to take his father's job...he needed a wife.  My family wanted me out. My father was involved with politics. It just made sense. Are you putting it together now? Why I was so caught off guard? Spencer, this marriage was arranged, and I didn't find out about it until tonight."
    Reid stared. "But..."
"But, I knew him. We did several camps together, theatre, music, drama, everything. He always had a crush on me. I was good friends with him. He told me once he loved me, he'd do anything for me. He was 16, I was only 13. Even though I should have been thrilled, I didn't love him back. I just...I couldn't. I was...grieving at the time, something not to be discussed now, I've had enough stress."
"I guess I contributed to that, sorry for scaring you, Melly."
"It's okay." she layed her head on his chest, and cuddled next to him. He only now noticed her thin night grown, which was a light lavender, with lace around the cleavage. It came to just above the knees.
"I normally don't wear this, what with Charlie around, and I obviously wasn't expecting visitors, but it makes me feel pretty." She blushed, and Spencer did the same with being caught at looking.
"I don't want you to leave here," Spencer whispered after a few moments of them listening to each other's breathing.
"The wedding is more than a year or so away. I won't leave for a while, not till Phillip absolutely has to go. I promise...Spencer, can I tell you something?"
"Anything, Melly."
"...I think you're my best friend." 

No comments:

Post a Comment