Saturday, October 13, 2012

Chapter Thirty-Four-Charlie's Song

Chapter Thirty-Four
Charlie's Song
 
 
 
 
 
 
     Charlie sighed, his warm breath dancing across Melanie's hair.
"I'm surprised. You caught on quickly," he sighed.
"You thought I'd find out?"
"Yes. Eventually. You know me too well."
"I thought I did...God, I must be one pain in your ass. When I yelled at you..."
"I deserved it, Melanie. You being gone...it drove me nuts. Finally Mom made me leave here to take you away from college and it just...being away from you and her..."
Melanie smiled. "You really love her."
Charlie choked out a yes.
"I'm glad. She deserves it." She kissed Charlie's fingers. "You deserve it." Melanie watched as a flock of birds flew over head, running south already. There was a chilling bite to the air, which made Melanie smile slightly.One of the last times her father had been with her was early November to late October. They were good memories.
"What is it?" Charlie asked, catching the look in her eye.
"Will you tell me how it happened?"
"What?"
"How you fell in love with her."
Charlie sighed. "I guess I knew I'd have too..."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Charlie Wilkes tossed a piece of hair behind his ear. He needed it cut. Badly. But that was the least of his worries. Sitting in his sister's reading chair as the cops searched the house, he stared angrily at the smudged, tear-stained note in his hand.
"I love you."
He couldn't look at it. He was too angry. He almost wished she had been taken, it was better than her leaving him here alone with no one that cared. Melanie...she may not know it, but he needed her just as much as she needed him.
 
But apparently, they both hadn't thought that.
 
"So, it's true?" He hadn't noticed the front door creak open, and he hadn't noticed the girl before him, panting and slumping, eyes tear-stained.
"What?" he hissed.
"She's gone, isn't she?" India Hampton was wearing a white tee shirt and sweat pants, her eyes were red rimmed and her chestnut hair was tangled back into a pony tail. She was sweating...she had run this whole way.
     Charlie didn't respond, because he couldn't admit it. India laughed darkly, turning head away to hide the choked sob that escaped her.
"Why are you here?" he asked, his 15 year old voice cracking with emotion.
"...I had to know. Melly's-"
"Don't!" Charlie screamed, and India yelped, scared of this boy for the first time. "Do not say her name..."
India nodded slightly. She turned to go slowly, knowing there was nothing she could do, but stopped and turned back, and the 12 year old smiled sadly at him. "Charlie...she won't be gone for long. If she ran...she'll be back."
Charlie slumped into his chair, head in his hands. "My father and sister in less than a year..." he sighed, no emotion creeping into his voice as it had before.
"And you may not want to hear this, but there are cops over at Ramblings, too."
Charlie rose with a sigh,"I should probably go talk to that cad beau of hers. If he knew..."
"No, Charlie," India said, putting her hand on his arm,"...Phillip's gone, too."
*****
Charlie Wilkes, now 19 years old, stood slumped on the steps of Ardely as the form of Melanie Wilkes blurred into the country side. At age 17, they had offered the Wilkes girl an early graduation.

She had taken it.

She had jumped at the chance to get away from this town, away from her family. He kept telling himself she would have to come back, because her soul was tied to Ardely, the last piece of her father. But that wasn't true. The last piece of Rene Wilkes was lodged in his daughter.
     Now, she was driving off to Yale, excited to leave and start over again. And Charlie was left with nothing. He had to stay at Ardely, and watch over what his father left him. Charlie didn't need some fancy education Melanie was getting. It didn't matter. He did study a great deal of psychology, though. It was interesting. Melanie had showed him, and he used it to try to decipher his younger sister. What it meant when she bit her crimson lips or forced a sad smile. The way she stared at the pianoforte that had been left for her. She thought he could never understand the pain he felt. He felt it times a thousand every time she was out of his sight. If something were to happen to Melanie, he would never be able to forgive himself.
"Masta Charlie, you wanna come in for some hot chocolate? It looks' mighty col' out there-"
"I'm going into town, Mammy," he said, walking off the porch, his hands in his corduroy jacket.
"Masta Charlie-"
"I don't know when I'll be back. Don't wait up for me."

      Driving through the town in his beat up, 60s blue convertible, Charlie masked the tears. The wind blew through his long hair, and whipped the tears from his face. He looked at the leather seat next to him, expecting his sister to make some sarcastic remark next to him, smiling her sad smile, even when she was happy through her crimson lips. She would yell at him to put the top up, and her long hair would be an unruly rats nest, and she would pull out the silver brush he bought to keep in the glove box, just for her. The tears were blurring his vision, and he needed to pull over asap.
     He pulled up the top, but left the side windows down, pulling into a spot on the square. He fumbled for the glove box, for Melanie's old handkerchief, just to wipe the tears. He pulled it out, and it was smudged with pink lip gloss and pale concealer and dark eyeliner that Melanie always wore. He sighed as he flipped to the clean side, wiping his eyes and throwing back his head. He wouldn't cry. Not here.
     Where was here?

He didn't bother to look. He looked at the cds on the floor, they were covered in dust because Melly's classical had always been on top.
"Charlie, that nasty old pop, what is it good for? It just talks about boobs and sex and drugs-"
"Melly!"
"Well! It does!" her voice screeched high as she fought for the slot of the cd player. "Abba liked classical...I do too."

     Charlie laughed a little, remembering how Melanie tried to be everything her father loved. He wondered if she remembered when they would argue. Over stupid things like sports teams and music. Charlie never had the heart to tell her. She was lucky all she remembered was the good times. All Charlie ever remembered was the times he had been yelled at. Mainly being told to look after his younger sister. He never resented Melanie for that, and maybe he should've...but he couldn't. No one could hate Melanie. No one with a soul and a heart. She was just too pure and too kind.
     He looked at the finger prints on the chrome on the inside. They wouldn't be there for long. He took his sleeve and wiped along the armrest, getting ride of the reminder she was gone. He looked outside. The play house. He could be...he could be getting ready to pick her up. She'd come out of the house with her stupid giggling friends and he'd have to give them all rides home like usual.
     Just as he thought this, the actors burst out of the house, eager to do whatever they had planned for their Saturday. He scanned the crowd for the girl with the gold hair and red lips with the golden trinkets around her neck-the cross and the rusted skeleton key. But she never came. He threw his head back hard against the head rest and groaned.
"Hey."
Charlie jumped a foot. He didn't think it was Melly once he heard the voice. This voice seemed more honest and rich than his sisters. He turned to find himself face to face with his sister's friend-India Hampton.
"...Hey," he said, looking straight forward.
"She wasn't here today," India said sadly.
"I know."
"She left this morning."
"I know."
India swallowed. "I really am sorry. I already miss her."
"Thanks for the support. We done?" he grumbled.
"Bye India!" Audrey yelled cautiously across the lot, getting into her soon-to-be boyfriend's car.
"Bye!" India yelled, then turned her dark honest eyes on Charlie. He jumped back when he looked at them.
"I-India?"
"I know it hurts, okay? I know how much she means too you. I've got a little brother...he's the only thing I've got. Our parents are both dead. I've been on my own since I can remember. But I've got him. If I didn't..." she closed her eyes and swallowed. "Well, I guess...bye...Charlie..."
"Hey, where are you going?" he called as India turned away.
"I'm walking home," she said, not turning back.
"Hey, wait," he called getting out of the car.
India looked like she couldn't believe this. "What?"
"You need a ride home?"
"I can walk-"
"I'd rather drive you."
"Oh...Okay..." she said. She tripped on her way to the car, but he didn't notice. She was screaming on the inside.
Charlie Wilkes...just invited me...into...his...car...Oh, gosh...
The drive was short, and neither said anything most of the ride. India inhaled when she came home. As she stepped out, a little dark haired boy came bounding down the steps.
"Indie!"
"Hey, Freddy!" she cried, picking him up and twirling him. Charlie watched her smile and the way her skirt twirled so prettily around her knees.
"Hey, India," he called. "Why...why don't you come over to Ardely sometime?"
India stared blankly, sitting down her brother. "Melly's not there."
"I meant," he stumbled, cheeks flushing,"I meant to talk to me."
"Oh," she said, eyes wide and scared, cheeks, too flushing.
"Lunch today?"
She smiled. "I'll...I'll be there."
"Bring tiger over there two. How old are you, kid?"
"I'm 7!" he said, puffing out his chest.
"Hmm...I got a four year old brother, but he wouldn't be much fun. I have a 13 year old sister, but she's too old. You like horses?"
He nodded.
"I have a whole stable full. You want me to teach you how to ride?"
"Yes, sir! Can I, Indie? Can I?"
"Yes...yes...of course..." Indie's smile was wide, stretching the span of her face. Her eyes were of escasty. She was floating on air.
"I guess I'll see you later."
"Yes...yes you will..." she mumbled. Charlie drove off, and India jumped in the air.
Charlie smiled as he watched her dancing with her brother in his rear-view mirror.
***
Charlie Wilkes, now 20 years old, stood smiling wide as Xylen let in India. She hadn't noticed him in the corner yet as the old butler removed her black shawl, revealing the wool grey button up frock she was wearing. She smiled and thanked him, and then she saw Charlie. She smiled, and tripped over her own feet to get to him. He wrapped her in his arms, pulling her tight to him.
"Where's your mother?" she asked.
"Gone..." he mumbled, running his tan fingers down the nape of her neck. She shivered.
"Hello, Miss Hampton."
"Hello, Mammy!" India exclaimed.
"Why don' you go wait in the dinnin' room, chile, while you waitin' fo lunch?"
India sighed and nodded, knowing the old nursemaid was going to have a talk with her beau.
"When are you gonna tell Miss Dresella?"
"When the time is right," Charlie growled.
"She won't approve o' this-"
"I don't care, Mammy!" he growled, stopping off toward where India retreated. He pulled his chair close to hers, and she placed her hands on his lap and her head on his shoulder.
"She's right you know..." India said. "Your mother wants you to marry into money. Charlie, I don't have a cent-"
"India..." he mumbled, and pressed his lips tight to hers. He heard the kitchen door open and close, and he knew Cal had seen and was giving them privacy. Just like his father would've. Ugh.
India breathed in, and found her hands were on his lapels, pulling him tight. She laughed.
He tipped her chin to look up at him. "You're so beautiful..." he mumbled. She blushed.
"I'll tell her soon enough, and I don't care what she says. I'm your beau and I don't care."
India frowned.
Charlie immediately looked concerned,"What is it?"
"I don't like calling you my beau...I just...I feel like your more than that."
Charlie chuckled,"Well, we don't need to give them all the gory details...I love you so much..." he pulled her to him again, running his hands down her back and to her hips.
"Stop," she mumbled, pushing him away.
"...I'm sorry..." he said, truthfully meaning it.
"It's alright..." she said.
"Why don't you want to?" he whispered. She smiled coyly.
"Innocence and purity can prove to be a powerful thing."
A knock sounded at the kitchen door. "I don't mean to be rude, sir," Cal said through the door,"but the food is getting cold."
India laughed. Cal took that as way to entry. He smiled at the girl that made his best friend's son smile. "Sorry, Cal," she said.
"Quite alright, miss," he said.
Charlie mouthed a thank you toward him. The chef just nodded and went back to his work.
***
Charlie hadn't heard from his mother since she returned two days ago. India had taken him out last night(without his mother knowing) for his 21st birthday. And his first (legal) drink. It was gratifying not having to bribe the bartender.
     Now, Dresella Wilkes had requested to see her son for the first time since...well, a long time ago. He soberly climbed the stairs and knocked on his mother's door.

Dresella Wilkes sat at her vanity with a silken lavender robe on. She was brushing the end of her long gold hair and batting her brown eyes at herself in the mirror.
"Ah, Charlie, come and sit at your mother's feet."
Charlie, now a young man did find this a bit undermining, but did so. His mother was the only person who had slightly favored him growing up. He respected her.
"Charlie, dear, I've been hearing things and I just had to come to you so you could tell me they were false," she laughed.
Charlie paled and swallowed. "And what was that mother?"
"Just the lies! Oh, that you've been running around with some little tramp without a cent to her name. Ridiculous, isn't it?"
Charlie didn't say anything as his mother laughed. She stopped and glared down at him slowly.
"Charles, darling, I said,"Ridiculous?" That was your cue to agree." Charlie stayed quiet again. "Well?"
Again, silence.
"Charles, deny it now!"
Charlie looked away,"...I can't."
Dresella sat down her hair brush gently and gritted through her teeth,"And what would be her name?"
Charlie knew what would happen if he said, not only would his mother separate them, but see it so the rest of India's life was terrible. He couldn't let that happen...he just...couldn't. He would never do that to her.
"I...I can't."
Dresella's eyes burned. "You can't what?"
"I can't tell you."
"Oh yes you can! Charles Wilkes, what is it?"
Charlie stared at the floor.
"Charles Wilkes, I swear if you don't tell me, what I'll do to you-" Dresella couldn't hold it in and brought her hand across Charlie's face, her wedding band scrapping a gash into his cheek.
"I can't tell you Mother. I'm sorry."
"You go away this instant! I-I can't even stand to look at you! I'll come up with the worst punishment you could imagine, Charles. Then we'll see what you can't tell!"

Dresella Wilkes tore apart India and Charlie by sending him to the BAU, but she never discovered the identity of his lover. Dresella, still enraged by her daughter and the fact that she left, tore her away from college, forcing both to join the BAU.

The next time Charlie would come home, he would find that his lover had been ran out of town, and convicted by the towns people of a triple homicide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Oh, goodness...Charlie...I..." Melanie couldn't do anything but stare. Watch as the man who had been her rock for some many years crumple in front of her, his face stained with tears.
"Was it this hard?" he gasped,"getting torn away from Phillip? How did you live? I don't know...what I'm going to do, Melly...Please convince Hotchner to let you work this case if I can't."
"When I snapped at you..."
"I'm sorry. I took it as a chance to redeem myself. That was the last time I saw her again, Melanie," he sobbed again and Melanie had never seen a man act so torn apart. "I don't know if I can live with out her!" he cried.
"Don't do this..." she whispered, wrapping her arms around him,"because I won't let you go. You saved me. I won't lose you too. I'll bring her home, Charlie.

I promise." 

No comments:

Post a Comment