Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chapter Twenty-Nine-I Fought So Hard To Free You

Chapter Twenty-Nine
I Fought So Hard To Free You
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
     Melanie didn't cry as Damien yanked hard on her wrist, dragging her farther and farther down into the House. She didn't cry as the got on the boat to cross the disgusting lake the house was dangerously built over. She didn't cry as they reached the house on the lake, but she saw the snow white dress laying on the bed, and the silver ring and Damien's hand. Melanie didn't let herself cry. She couldn't.
 
 
Spencer was coming for her.
*****************************************************************************************************************
Spencer Reid stalked back and forth across the navy spotted carpet in the brown room of the police station. His eyes were blurring behind his thick coke-bottle glasses because the tears.
"We have no idea where he's taking her, do we?" he heard, not sure who said it,the sound ringing in his ears.
"He'll take me...we'll be parted forever...he won't let me go..."
Spencer pretended Melanie said those words to him, pretended he hadn't listened.
But Spence didn't want Melanie to go on stage tonight. He trusted Melanie and she knew what she was doing. But Melanie trusted Spencer to save her. He couldn't.
"Not necessarily," another voice cried. "I've sent a detective to catch the trail of him. He wasn't here tonight..." the voice died out in Reid's ears, giving him a headache. He flopped down in a chair, and he knew his face was distorted out of pain and worry. He was going to sob any moment. He put his head in his hand's and breathed deeply for several minutes.
"Then how are we going to find her?!" screamed another voice. Charlie. Drunk. He hadn't been at the performance as far as Reid knew, but he must've to have gotten here so quickly.
"Reid?" Spencer heard it, but wasn't sure who said it or how long they had been asking it. JJ was face to face with him.
"The Necklace..." he mumbled. JJ asked what he meant, and he reiterated it, louder this time.
"Garcia! The necklace I gave Melly, it had a camera, do you remember me telling you this?!"
"If it's on her, I can see everything she's seeing."
Reid's heart fluttered for a moment.
She might be okay...I could find her...I can save her...Melly-
Spencer looked up as Garcia's monitor was hooked up to the overhead projector, splaying the picture on the wall.
"Damn," Morgan growled. Damien and Melanie were already in the lair. Spencer knew this was where Melanie had been taken before, and he wondered why she didn't tell them where he was taking her.
She was protecting him...
Reid shuttered. He could see Melanie's snow white hand being held by Damien out in front of her. He was gauging her expression, smiling slightly. What was Melanie looking at? Spencer saw the length of Melanie's pale arm as Damien pulled her gently forward into a tan room with an organ, a bed, and a cluttered nightstand and vanity. Spencer looked at the bed and got sick. A white webbed wedding gown with little crystal's here and there. Lace...all over...a silver wedding ring was clenched between Damien's forefinger and thumb. The camera raised slightly at Melanie's sharp intake of breath, her breast rising.
"Take your place," he whispered,"in your final and most demanding role."
Spencer stared again. Damien without his mask on wasn't as bothering as it had been a few moments ago, and it amazed him how Melanie could stare at him and not be repulsed.
But it repulsed Spencer how she could stare at him with longing and awe. With adoration. With love.
****************************************************************************************************************
Damien undid Melanie's earrings, and then went for her necklace. Melanie's hands shot to her throat, careful not to cover the charm.
"Can I keep this, please?" she whispered. "It's special to me."
"Who gave it to you?" he asked, knowing this wasn't something Melanie had bought herself. She hesitated before answering,"My father." Damien nodded.
"Don't wear it for the ceremony though," he said curtly, leaving. Melanie placed the necklace on the vanity, pointing the gem at her face.
"I don't know if you can hear me, or if you're even there, but...guys...I'm doing something. I'm saving lives. It's what I promised myself I would do at the BAU. If I leave, he'll hurt everyone to get to me. This is better, but I'll keep the ruby so you can watch me say goodbye...or, so I can say goodbye. After the...wedding," she whispered, voice sticking on the word,"I'm crushing the ruby. I love you all...I love you Phillip, and I want you to know you're the best friend a girl could have. I'm just glad now you can have someone you finally deserve. Some one better than me.
    I love you so much, Charlie. Just...stop drinking. And take care of Aggie, please. And my Gustave. Tell Victoria Abba is proud. Tell Aggie was wrong. Tell Mother to do what's right. Tell Mayor Barly to stay the hell away from my Aggie." She giggled half-heartedly here. "If Indie comes back, tell her I loved her too. And that I knew she was innocent. Always.
Tell Audrey she's amazing and I love her, and I'm going to miss being the godmother to her children that she promised me I could be," another sad chuckle here. "Tell Tommy he's an idiot, and I'm going to miss him. Same goes for Niall and Zayn.
Hotch, thanks...for everything. I owe you. I wish I could give you instead of asking, but that's how life works, huh? Rossi...you've really been a good father figure. Or trying to be, but that's what mattered, and I loved every minute of it. Jen, I'm gonna miss watching Henry for you, babe. Tell him his Auntie loves him...tons...Derek...I don't think anyone has ever pushed me as much as you did. I needed it. I still need it. I won't forget you, babe. Penny, we've had some rockin' times, huh baby doll? Golly...I love you, babe. Don't forget that. Emily....you've helped when I had nothing to give. You are amazing, but don't give up. Not yet.
Spencer..." she smiled at the name, closing her eyes. "Where to even begin...this may be the hardest goodbye I'll ever have to give...Honestly...Honest...I want my last words to be honest to you. I can't do this goodbye right because, honestly, part of me is saying that you are going to come in and save me. But you can't, can you? And that's okay..." she whispered, voice cracking again. Tears were forming in her eyes. "It's okay...because I know how much you want to. And it saves me a little. But I'm not worth the lives that have been taken. I told you that. I pray this isn't goodbye, but I honestly can't see anything short of a marvel comic book scene that could save me now that would be a happy story for everyone. And, Spence, I just want to say, you're my best friend and...and I love you..." she said it so strong as one tear escaped, then it's twin. "So much."
****************************************************************************************************************
Spencer stared at the screen as Melanie threw a cloth over it, making it black. Tears were running down his face, as were others. The few that weren't crying looked at Reid, who began sobbing horribly in the room. Penny was as well, hers were silent, except for a few sniffles going. Reid screamed Melanie's name, but he didn't remember it. He didn't remember anything but his body being shattered. She wanted him there, but he could never save her. Never again. Charlie stared without seeing, horror clean on his face.
"M-Melanie..." he whispered,"India..." he mumbled. He got up, knocking over his chair and stormed out of the room, running and stumbling.
"Melanie!" Spencer cried out again, his arms wrapped around his sides, holding himself together.
It was ten more minutes, and Spencer barely calmed down in time to see Melanie lift the cloth off the ruby. Her gold hair was cascading down her back with a lace veil playing down the sides of her face. The dress looked like a river of white and diamonds.
     Stalking out of the room, Melanie plunked the necklace onto a table outside the house, showing a view of the misty lake. They were in a cave like place, it was dark except for about 30 or so candles lit all over.
   They saw Melanie in her slender, floor length wedding gown, and she was upset. Damien had his back to her fingering the ring.
"Is this it then?" she yelled, he looked back, amused. "No more killing? You're gorged with blood now, yes? Now, you bring me here for what? To share a bed with me? One fix of flesh, is that all it is?"
"Do you have any idea what it's like?!" he hissed. "My mother...was afraid of me. My first birthday present was a mask. The first kiss I ever received was from you that first day at Coney."
"So that was it? You thought I was encouraging you? I saw you as a father figure!"
"And I saw you as a lover! What would I do with a daughter?"
"Give her the love she needed!"
"I am doing that, Melanie, darling," he whispered, he tried to wrap his arms around her, but she shoved him off. Again, he tried, and Melanie let him this time. "You need this..." he mumbled,"you're so unused to human touch...you need warmth and loved. You need to be kissed. Every second of every minute of every day...yeah...Melanie, you once said that some were born to be secondary characters. You were talking about you, but I always knew what you were, Melly. A star. But you were also meant to be a sacrifice. That's what you wanted, wasn't it? To save lives? I won't hurt anyone as long as I have you, darling. I swear. I'll hold you...and love you...and soon, you'll have children to love and hold."
"Children," Melanie breathed as if the breath had been knocked out of her.
"That's what you told me you always wanted more than anything. Children. They'll love us, of course. Gustave took to me well enough."
Spencer watched Melanie flinch as realization dawned on her. "When you took him out and didn't hurt him...you...you pretended he was our son?!" she screamed, shoving away. "You leave him out of this! It's my fault he's an orphan and he doesn't belong to me and he sure as heck doesn't belong to you! You stay away from him! I'll give you whatever you want, even if that means a son..." her voice died off, whimpering a little.
Spencer thought of Melanie's body swollen with Damien's child and gagged. Damien taking away Melanie's so treasure virginity. He yelped.
Melanie started to sob as the splashing in the water began, only when the pale figure came into view that everyone gasped.
"My dear, I think we have a guest..."
Melanie looked up.  She yelped "Phillip!"
*****************************************************************************************************************
Melanie stared at Phillip Dufour in shock and awe.
Damien stared with a sick smile. Neither noticed, their eyes locked on one another.
"Did you think I was going to hurt her?" Damien asked. "Why would I make her pay for the sins that are yours?"
Melanie screamed as Damien slipped the rope around Phillip's neck.
Phillip gagged.
Damien chuckled, "What an interesting situation we have here, wouldn't you say Comte?" He pulled the rope tighter. Melanie was crying again.
"It was foolish to come here. Nothing can save you now...nothing except, Melanie."
Melanie's big blue eyes widened, and she tried hard to make her quivering mouth stop shaking.
"Start a new life with me. Buy his freedom with your love. Refuse me and you send your lover to his death. This is the choice. This is the point of no return."
Melanie looked away.
"The tears I might have shed for you are drying Damien. I harbor nothing now but hate! You were wrong when you said no one loved you for your face-the distortion is truthfully in your soul," she hissed.
Phillip groaned. "Melanie, forgive me, please forgive me. I did it all for you and all for nothing..."
"Farewell my fallen idol and false friend...one by one all my delusions shattered..."
"Melanie," Phillip said,"if you say you love him, my life is over..."
Damien got another rope, to secure him to the wall.
"For either way you choose, he has to win! Why make her lie to you to save me?"
Melanie was sobbing again. "Angel, please! You deceived me...my father didn't send you...why did you lie?"
"For pity's sake, Melanie, say no! Don't throw your life away for my sake!"
"Why are you doing this?" Melanie screamed.
Damien smiled. "His life is now the prize which you must earn."
"I fought so hard to free you..." Phillip whispered. 
"But, Angel of Music...you deceived me...I gave you voice blindly," she hissed.
"Out with it, Melanie. Make your choice."
Melanie couldn't look at either of them.
Some people are just born to be secondary characters...she thought, walking toward the men.
 
But this is my story.
 
Melanie stalked to Damien and took his face in her hands.
 
It's a pity he's taking it from me.
 
And she kissed him fiercely, with all the passion she had in her soul.
 
But it's all my fault...
 
And for some reason...it felt okay. Like she needed this. She wanted this.
 
Angel of Music...you deceived me...
 
Melanie pulled away slowly, but upon seeing Damien deep set blue eyes, she saw deep into his soul, and Melanie dove her head back onto his lips, she even let his tongue into her mouth, which she didn't find awkward. She just felt the passion and the love he was giving her.
 
Damien pulled away, crying. He stalked away from the girl, back the house on the lake.
"Take her..." he whispered, and, at first, Melanie thought she was dreaming. "Take her! Forget me! Forget all of this! Leave me alone...forget all you've seen. Go now, and don't let them find you!"
Melanie looked at Phillip and they shared a moment of bliss before she ran to him, taking off the ropes binding him.
"Take the boat and swear to me not to tell a soul of what's occurred her today. Keep your mouths closed about the Angel in Hell!"
Melanie let Phillip's arms roughly take her face, and they kissed passionately, and Melanie forget everything except the fact he was alive.
 
And she was his again.
 
"Go now!" he screamed. "Just...leave me!"
Melanie smiled blissfully at Phillip as they were about to leave, but Melanie stopped.
"What is it?" he whispered.
"I owe him more than this."
"Melly-"
"I'll be right back. I promise."
 
Melanie retreated back into the house on the lake, for probably the last time. She saw Damien sitting on the bed, fingering the rose Melanie had worn in her hair.
She didn't say anything, but he turned to face her. She slipped the ring of her finger and into his hand. He shook his head, and Melanie drew her arms back.
"Keep it. But promise me one day, after I'm dead, you'll come back and give it to me."
Melanie didn't say a word, but nodded. She leaned forward and kissed the distorted half of his face.
"Angel," she whispered, and left.
After she had ridden off with Phillip only then was he aloud to whisper,"Melanie, I love you..."
*****************************************************************************************************************
A cop car had found Melanie and Phillip walking on the side of the road not long before dawn. She and Phillip held wordlessly onto each other in the back. She stumbled up the steps to Ardely, and when Xylen let her in the door, the BAU and her family was waiting for her. No one said a word or embraced her when she walked in. She looked at Charlie and Hotch, who didn't even nod.
She stalked across to the back of the room, where Spencer was standing stiff with big eyes. He had purple dotted along the bottom. Lack of sleep. They were also red. Tears.
Melanie stared for a moment before collapsing in his arms and crying with him as the dawn came, shining over Ardely like the presence of angels.  


No comments:

Post a Comment