Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Chapter Sixteen-The Phantom Confronts Melanie

Chapter Sixteen
The Phantom Confronts Melanie









        "Of all days of all places we run into them!" Melanie huffed. She was sitting at the vanity brushing out the pony tail then twisting back into the bun. She rolled the sleeves to remove the dust from her violet gown. It had slick sleeves, which formed to her skinny arms and fell down her body. It had a low v-neck, but not low enough to show any cleavage. Reid didn't like to spend time thinking about it, but how was Melanie busty some days and some days skinny as a ram rod? Melanie dusted off the gold hem of her skirt and sighed. Derek laughed her, and Melanie turned.
"And what is so funny Derek Morgan?"
"You. Upset." Melanie rolled her eyes. Phillip came to stand behind her and kiss her neck. His hands on her shoulders, Melanie took some comfort in the picturque the made.
"I know, I know, dear. Where's Gustave?"
"In his room. Would you help him dress, dear?"
"Yes, Melanie," Phillip said, leaning down and kissing his fiance on the cheek, and left.
"So what's the deal with that?" Derek asked.
Melanie turned around to face the boys and sighed. "When Phillip left Coney for the first time, he didn't return to Ramblings. He got on a boat to France. He called in advance. His mother, whom he spoke to, was thrilled and she called Phillip's older brother, whom he had never met. The Count rode a boat down with his wife, leaving their newborn son at home. The boat sank and both died, and they left Gustave in the care of Phillip. Phillip has lived in France till he came and spoke to me the night of my engagement party. That was the first time I had seen him in six years. I didn't know if he was alive or dead."
"So, your engagement was arranged?" Derek asked.
"Yes. I put out the fake date so Spencer could figure it out, but he was still mad like an ass because I didn't tell him and I didn't know! By the way...Gustave has taken to calling me mother recently. He'll call Phillip father accidentally, which makes Phillip upset. Phillip feels he is responsible for the death of his brother and sister in law. He will raise the boy but he doesn't believe he deserves the love that comes with the role. He pushes Gustave away when he shouldn't but still...I try to give him all the love I can. He reminds of me of my brother." Melanie smiled.
"Angus, right?" Spencer asked.
"Yeah...Aggie. He's sweet." Melanie hadn't told them the thought that Aggie was her half brother. She didn't need to. It wasn't important. "There's my boy!" she screamed as Gustave bounded into the room with his miniature tuxedo on.
"How do I look, Momma?" he asked in his little boy voice.
"Oh, just dapper Gustave!" She pulled the boy onto her lap and he wrapped his arms around her. "Papa said he'd take me to the zoo, but now he says he won't."
"That won't do," Melanie sighed. "I'll talk to him later. He'll take you to the zoo. What do you want to see?" she asked.
"The tigers! Raaawwwrrrr!!" cried the boy, making his hands into claws and pawing at the air.
Melanie laughed,"Alright, alright. Papa will take you to see the tigers and whatever else you want to see, alright?" The boy nodded and his bronze hair bounced on his bronze skin. "Some one needs a hair cut!" Melanie cried, using her fingers to pretend snip at the hair. Gustave wrapped his arms around his head and Melanie laughed at the boy again, then kissed his arms. They lowered for her and she smiled. "Just a little, and then you'll look super charming! But for now..." Melanie reached for a jar on her vanity and undid the lid. Dipping her fingers into it, the pulled out her coated in blue goo. She ran her hands through the boys hair until it was slicked back. Melanie laughed. "Now you and Dr. Reid have matching hairstyles." Gustave smiled.
"He's got good taste.
***
"You sure you'll be okay tonight, Mel?" Derek asked.
"Yes. Derek, Spencer, you guys are working really hard. But focus on the case. I'm not a victim you need to protect."
Spencer sighed,"But Phillips out drinking again..."
"I'll be fine. I've got Gustave so I won't freak out over anything. I'll probably stay up all night and droop around at rehearsals tomorrow. I'm fine."
"Maybe Gustave should spend the night in the hotel...?" Spencer asked.
Melanie shook her head. "He's safe. I wouldn't risk his safety. You know that. I know he's safe. If you wanna watch someone, watch Phillip. I'm worried for him."
"'Kay, Mel. 'Night," Derek said, hugging his friend.
"G'night Derek. 'Night, Spencer," Melanie said, hugging Reid. He threw his arms around her awkwardly. The two departed and Melanie shut the door and locked the double deadbolts. She leaned against the door for a moment, unsure of what to do. Gustave had been tucked into bed hours ago. He would be fine. Locking the third deadbolt, she sighed.
"It will take more than that to keep me out." Melanie stopped and felt her blood run cold. Her knees began to wobble and she didn't bother to wish for her smelling salts. She felt the hands on her bare shoulders, running down her arms, her waist.
"You're still here...you haven't ran," she breathed. Her knees finally gave out, but he caught her and carried her to the couch. He touched her hair, pulling out a pin, it all spilled down her back.
"I couldn't leave...you were here," he whispered. He put his hand on her chest, over her heart.
"Stop..." Melanie breathed.
"Doesn't that feel good? Has your heart been aching as mine had these six years?"
"Don't do this..."
"I love you. I do."
"Master," Melanie sighed, moving his hand away. He went fast from hurt to outrage.
"Six years I've waited for you! And now you come with son and husband!"
"You've hired Madame Greywald and her daughter, friends of mine."
"If I did I'm not aware. I've just composed these few years. I know not of what has become of the state of this theatre. And no song is good. I can't write without imagining you singing for them."
"The one you wrote for me was amazing. It's very beautiful...but I can't sing it."
"What?"
"I-" Melanie heard a scream coming from the left room as her future adoptive son came barreling in the room.
"Mother, please! I'm scared! What a dream, and awful dream! Someone strange and mad...seething me and drowning me!" he attached to her skirt as her master stared.
"Shhhh, it's alright. Come and meet a friend of mine," Melanie gestured to her master.
"Gustave, this is Mr. Y," Melanie smiled. Gustave stared.
"This place...is yours?"
"Every inch of it," he smiled. "Hows about tomorrow, I take you on a tour and show you whatever you wish?"
"Oh, yes!" he cried. Melanie looked between the two. "Back to sleep now, Gustave."
"Yes, Mother," he sighed, returning to his room.
    Melanie watched afraid as her master circled the room with a smile on his face.
"You won't sing will you? It's a shame for the poor boys soul..."
"What?" Melanie asked.
"He might lose his way on Coney Island..."
"No!"
"He might disappear on Coney Island..."
"Please, don't! I'll do anything, I swear! Please....I'll sing. I swear. Just...don't hurt my boy...please. It's all Phillip has left..."
"Ah, yes, the drunk husband."
"Fiance," Melanie corrected.
"What a fool..." the master cried. His mask was getting to big. He had lost weight over the six years and his face was longer and sadder. Melanie reached out to touch it, but he caught her hand.
"I'm sorry..." she whispered.
"I'll see you later, Melanie. If pride allows you to return to me. Your teacher." he sighed. "Melanie..." he whispered, but he tore himself from her gaze and fled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment