Thursday, August 16, 2012

Chapter Twenty-Three-Deo Salus Mea

Chapter Twenty-Three
Deo Salus Mea







     Ardely was torn up as the news that Melanie was gone spread. Charlie locked himself in his room and hadn't come out for almost 14 hours now, and the clinking of glasses carried down the hall to Reid's room. Reid was worried for Melanie's sake. Charlie was going to drink himself to death. He'd made a promise and he didn't keep it. How awful that must've felt.
     No one was more tore up though than the Monsieur's Lon Carlin and Fray. Their cast had disappeared. A ball was scheduled for next week. A performance in three days. They would have to refund multiple full houses.
The FBI had taken over the opera house as M. Fray came bumbling in yelling for Carlin.
"'Mystery after gala night!" he cried, reading the paper aloud,"if says 'mystery a soprano's flight. We are mystified' baffled Surete say, 'we are mystified - we suspect foul play!' Bad news on soprano scene - first Charlotte, now Melanie! Still, at least the seats get sold. gossip's worth its weight in gold .... What a way to run a business. Oh, spare me these unending trials...Half your cast disappears, but the crowd still cheers! Opera !To hell with Gluck and Handel - It's a scandal that'll pack 'em in the aisles-"
"Damnable! Will they all walk out? This is damnable!"
"Carlin, please don't shout. It's publicity and the take is vast. Free publicity!"
"But we have no cast!"
"Carlin have you seen the queue?" but stopped when he saw the letter in his friend's hand. "Oh, it seems you've got one too..."
Carlin read aloud his note,"Dear Andre what a charming gala. Melanie was in a word, sublime. We were hardly bereft when Charlotte left-on that note, the chorus was entrancing but the dancing was a lamentable mess!"
"Dear Fray, just a brief reminder, my salary had not been paid. Send in care of the ghost by return of post: Q P.TO. No one likes a debtor so it's better if my orders are obeyed!"
Rossi stalked up the steps told the men. "Who are these letters from?"
"To hell if we know..." Carlin sighed.
"These are both signed,"O.G.""
"Who the hell is he?"
"Opera ghost!It's really not amusing. He's abusing our position! In addition he wants money. He's a funny sort of spectre ... to expect a large retainer! Nothing plainer - he is clearly quite insane!"
"Morgan!" Rossi yelled...just as Phillip Dufour burst angrily into the house.
"Where is she?" he growled.
"You mean Charlotte?"
"I mean Miss Wilkes. Where is she?"
"Well how should we know?" Carlin asked.
"I want an answer!" he snarled. "I take it that you sent me this note?"
"What's all this nonsense? "
"She's not with you then?"
"Of course not. We're in the dark-"
"Monsieur, don't argue. Isn't this the letter you wrote?"
"And what is it that we're meant to have wrote...Written!" Fray let his eyes scan the page for a moment before reading it aloud. "'Do not fear for Miss Wilkes. The angel of music has her under his wing...make no attempt to see her again.'"
Phillip shifted uncomfortably,"If you didn't write it, then who did?"
ENTER:Charlotte Greywald.
"Where is he!" she screamed.
Carlin smiled. "Welcome back!"
Charlotte was crying. "You're precious patron, where is he?"
"Charlotte," Phillip sighed,"what is it now?"
"I have your letter-a letter that I rather resent!"
"Did you send it?" Carlin asked.
"Of course not," Phillip cried.
"As if he would," Fray stated.
"You dare to tell me, that this is not the letter you sent?"
"And what is it that I've meant to have sent?" Phillip scanned his sister's letter, then read it aloud:"Your days at the Opera Populaire are numbered. Melanie Wilkes will be singing on your behalf tonight. Be prepared for a great misfortune, should you attempt to take her place."
Carlin and Fray looked at each other for a moment, considering what to do. With one missing Prima Donna, and one in front of them, it seemed ignorant to obey the mysterious writer.
"Far too many notes for my taste," Carlin said, taking Charlotte across the room,"And most of them about Melanie. All we've heard since we came is Miss Wilkes' name!"
ENTER:Annette Greywald. "Miss Wilkes has returned."
"No word for where and when as far as we're concerned," Carlin sighed.
"Where precisely is she now?" Fray asked.
"I thought it best she was alone. She needed rest."
"May I see her?" Phillip asked.
"No, Vicomte, she will see no one."
"Will she sing?" Charlotte cried through her tears.
"Here, I have a note," Annette said, showing it. Everyone cried for it at once, but she gave it to Rossi to read.
""Gentlemen, I have now sent you several notes of the most amiable nature, detailing how my theatre is to be run. You have not followed my instructions.I shall give you one last chance . . .Melanie Wilkes has returned to you, and I am anxious her career should progress. In the new production of "Il Muto", you will therefore cast Charlotte as the Pageboy, and put Miss Wilkes in the role of Countess. The role which Miss Wilkes plays calls for charm and appeal. The role of the Pageboy is silent - which makes my casting, in a word, ideal. I shall watch the performance from my normal seat in Box Five, which will be kept empty for me. Should these commands be ignored, a disaster beyond your imagination will occur. I remain, Gentlemen, Your obedient servant, O.G." How long have you been getting these letters?" Rossi asked.
"Since we came," Fray sighed.
"No," Reid said,"Since MELANIE came."
"I know who sent this!" Charlotte cried. "The Vicomte, her lover!"
Phillip sneered at his sister,"Indeed? Can you believe it!"
"Senora!" Carlin cried. "You are our star-and always will be! We don't take orders-Miss Wilkes will be playing the pageboy, the silent role. Charlotte will be playing the lead!"
"The angel sees!" Madame Greywald cried,"The angel knows!"
"What does that mean?" Reid whispered to Rossi.
"I can tell you," Charlie said. Reid stared. When had he come out of his room? "If you'll follow me boys?"
***
Charlie's room was comfy. Soft. Plaid, everywhere. The color red, everywhere. Phillip poured them a little brandy, which Reid didn't touch. Not on the job. Rossi popped his down.
"It's really an old fairy tale around here...An Angel of Music."
"Didn't Phillip call Damien that while we were on Coney?"
"Probably..." Charlie sighed. "Melanie...believes Damien is her angel of music. Father used to tell Melanie the story before she went to bed...every night. Every true musical genius has been visited by the angel of music. Father once told Melanie, that when he died, he would send the angel of music to her. Only a few families know the story-I guess the families originally from here, this being an old civil war town and all...She used to hear things...and it would scare me when she told me about them."
"What did she hear?" Reid asked, concerned.
"...Voices...Music in the night...when she said she heard it again the other night I finally realized that...well, what if she really is hearing something? There's not something wrong with her head? There's something tangibly there?"
Spencer looked at Rossi. "Melanie met Damien on Coney-"
"But he had been with her the whole time."
***
"Mista Charlie! Mista Charlie!" Mammy burst into the room of the horror shocked men. How young had Melanie been when she first heard this voice? How long had he been watching her sleep? Singing to her. Reid thought he might throw up. "Mista Charlie! Miss Melly's home." Mammy was smiling from ear to ear.
"Melanie," Charlie sighed, getting up and running down the stairs. "Melanie?!" Phillip was already kneeling at her side. She was sickly pale, with dark circles under her eyes. Phillip held fast to her hand. She had her black shawl wrapped around her body, and her hair was matted and dull. She kept wringing her hands and biting the lips that were no longer red.
"Melanie?" Charlie asked again.
"Mammy, get her some water," Reid said.
"Yes'm Docta Reid," Mammy said, scuttling off.
"Melanie, are you alright, dear?"
"Of course," she smiled at her brother. "Phillip?" she whispered, the only tone she could manage,"would you be a darling and let me alone for my brother?"
"...Can I stay in the room?" he asked.
"Of course, darling," she breathed, her eyelids fluttering.
"Melanie..." Charlie whispered,"I'm sorry..."
"Don't apologize...you have nothing to apologize for..."
"Are you sure your okay?" he asked.
"Deo Salus Mea," Melanie mumbled.
"What?" Rossi asked.
"It's the Wilkes family war cry," Reid whispered to him.
"My safety comes from God," Melanie clarified. Mammy came in and propped up her Mistress to give her a sip of water.
"You've been brave so long, Miss Melly. Ya just gotta keep on bein' brave."
"I'm not brave, Mammy...I'm just living..." Melanie sighed, her eyes closing.
"Let's go and let Miss Melly rest," Mammy said. Everyone was departing, and Charlie saw Phillip still at her side. "Phil-" but Mammy cut him off.
"Leave 'em be, Mista Charlie. Leave em be." Charlie looked pitifully as Phillip brushed hair out of his sister's face. "I'm sorry," he whispered again, to no one. He left, sparing another glance at the sister he couldn't protect.
***
The next day, Melanie was sitting up on the threadbare couch they'd left her on, smiling. Her lips were red again, though not the crimson that was normal for her. Her hair had been washed by Mammy a few hours earlier, when she had carried her to the tub and bathed her. Her hair was wet and clinging to the frame of her face. She had on make-up, and Mammy was pulling up her hair as Reid walked into the room.
"Look at you," he said.
"Quite," Melanie said, still smiling.
"Who took you, Melly?" he asked.
Melanie looked down, sad.
"Don't be botherin' Miss Melly," Mammy said.
"Have you ever felt a fairy tale crash down around your head, Reid?" he stared at her.
Phillip burst in, with a load of red roses. He handed them to her as she smiled weakly, her eyes, full of life and love, doing the speaking.
"19 roses," he said, kissing her palms. "One for every hour you were gone," he smiled. He put his head in her hands.
"Phillip..." she whispered, kissing his hair.
He sighed ruggedly. "Let's not think about that now," he smiled,"remember when we were young? Little dove...let her mind wander...the little song bird thought,'Am I fonder of dolls or of goblins or of shoes...'"
"Phillip," she smiled.
"'Or of riddles or of frocks..."
"Those picnics in the attic..."
"Or of chocolates?"
"Father playing the violin..."
"As we read to each other, dark stories of the north?"
"No," Melanie smiled,"What I love best,'the song bird said,'is when I'm asleep in my bed...and the angel of music sings songs in my head," and they chorused together,"and the angel of music sings songs in my head..."
Reid looked at Melanie and he knew.

Melanie knew.

Damien was the Angel of Music. He'd been with her much longer than any of them could realize.
***
Madame Greywald was finishing Melanie's make-up as Reid walked in. Another coat of pink lipstick, to cover her red, and she left.
 "So?" Reid said.
"Yes, Reid. Damien is the opera ghost. Damien is the angel of music. Damien is sending the letters and yes, Damien is the voice that sings to me at night. I just...when he took me that night...and everything ran together...it was like my world was falling out of the sky. But, I got to thinking...what if Father did send me the angel of music?"
 "What?"
"What if he sent me Damien? I know he's not what we both thought. I mean, he wouldn't be accepted in public because of his...distortion. But still, what if Father sent me him? And for a reason?"
 "Melly-"
"Charlotte and I can't sing tonight. He's going to do something awful. Hurt someone. I know it. I tried to tell the managers, but asking them to give me the main role when I didn't deserve it would be horrendous. Il Muto is so amazing to put on."
"Melly, you do deserve the main roll. I mean, you play a boy dressed up a maid whose in love with Charlotte's character, right?"
 "Opera for you," she smiled,"and you mustn't say unkind things about Charlotte, Spencer. After all, in a few months time, she will be my sister," Melanie smiled. "Reid, if something happens tonight, you must protect her. It would kill Phillip if she was hurt."
"If you need helping though-"
"Her over me. I can't put Phillip through her death, Spencer. Besides, my safety is with God."
"What else is it you Wilkes say? Your family motto?"
 "No safety in arms," smiled weakly. "I know. I'm brave enough to survive. I have to be."
  Spencer watched as Melanie Wilkes walked away, her shoulders squared though she
 couldn't walk but two days ago. Her face painted and powered, her smile small and red already peeking through the lipstick. The girl whom Spencer had to protect, even though she just asked to give up her life for the girl that loathes her.






No comments:

Post a Comment