Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Chapter Thirteen-Flashback to a Girl With a Song In Her Heart (PART II)

Chapter Thirteen
Flashback to a Girl With a Song In Her Heart
(PART II)





     Melly lay in her bed and absent mindedly brushed out her hair. She watched as it curled around the brush, then pop back into place once it was gone. It had been a few hours since Phillip left and Melanie couldn't go back to sleep. Melanie had replaced her sparring gown and corset on the wrack. (If Mammy hadn't got her the machine that laced and unlaced her corset for her, there's no way she could hide this from Mammy!) She was in her white night gown when Mammy entered the room and threw open the blackout curtains that engulfed the room in darkness, letting in all the morning sunset. It sparkled blissfully on the lake.
"Miss Melly, what is you doin' up?" Mammy asked.
"I couldn't sleep," Melly sighed. "I think I shall go for a swim today, Mammy. How did you sleep?"
"Just fine, but you isn't goin' swimmin' 'fore your rehearsal."
"Oh, no. No. It's fine. Phillip may be coming over for riding today, anyhow. Mammy?"
"Yes, chile*?"
"Will you bring my breakfast tray up to my room this morning? Or better yet, could you have Xylen ask Mother if I could have breakfast in her room?"
"Why is you needin' to do that?" Mammy asked, her eyes raking over her Mistress skeptically.
"I just want to speak with Mother. That's all."
"Don't you be upsettin' Miss Dresella, Miss Melly. She just done had a baby-"
"Aggie is 6 weeks old now. She can come out, and if she won't, then I'll go in."
"Don't you go gettin' inta trouble, Miss Melly."
"I wouldn't dream of it, Mammy."
***
Dresella Contesta Wilkes was a reserved woman. Though, not so much reserved as stuck up. Her parents couldn't have been more proud of her when she married the Ambassador. She married for money, nothing more or less. Now, at the age of 34, she was a widow. Her husband had died and left with four children, a plantation, and house workers. He also died with a life insurance policy worth 50,000 dollars every year. Every month it was payed off and at they end of every year, the 50,000 dollars was put to use to keep the children and house workers fed, and the roof over their heads kept strong.
     She had never been fond of her oldest daughter. She was to spry and dreamlike. So like her father in many ways. He spent all his time filling her head with stories and the girl was too...naive. She didn't think much of her daughter, but her husband had left half the house to Charlie, and half to Melanie. Melanie, Charlie, and Victoria each got a third of the land. Victoria said she wanted nothing of Ardely, and would give it to Melly once she was 18. Melanie quite looked forward to owning Ardely, and her Mother wondered if Melanie would let her live in the house once she took over.
     Melanie herself was never fond of her mother. She knew her mother loved her, and she knew how much she wanted a daughter. Why she begged her father for another daughter had once sent Melanie in a downward spiral. She and her mother never saw eye to eye, and it was clear that Melanie was a disappointment in her mother's eyes. But Dresella had never been more hated until 3 weeks after her father's death, when Mrs. Wilkes became pregnant.
"Charlie," Melanie had whispered angrily to her brother after learning of her mother's condition. " He's been dead for three weeks. He hasn't been home for two. Five weeks and father hasn't touched mother. He couldn't have. That child isn't Papa's."
"That's a serious accusation, Melly," Charlie hissed. "You can't just lay that on Mother."
"I'm just saying it's not possible."
"Mother isn't a tramp. I won't hear you say this again."
But Angus Frederich Wilkes was born with bright red hair and big blue eyes, both unlike Mother, Melanie knew that little Aggie wasn't the son of Rene Wilkes.
Melanie loved Aggie, regardless. Little Aggie would even cry out for his eldest sister when she was near, and Melanie would pick up the child and coddle him. Melanie had no idea who the father could be-she had never seen hair so orange. Aggie was her half-brother, and Melly loved him.
     Now, these very two different girls were looking each other eye to eye as they ate the breakfast Cal had prepared for them.
"I must say, Melanie," Dresella crooned with mock affection,"I was shocked to hear that you wanted to dine with me. Whatever was the reason?"
"Oh, Mother," Melanie smiled, her affect was always real. She loved her mother, and Melly wished she was loved back. The longingness to to be close to her mother coated her voice. "I haven't seen you in so long..." Melanie always made sure words that came out of her mouth weren't lies. Melanie wasn't lying.
"Oh, child," Dresella almost looked like she might pet the girl's head, but her hand went back to her knife. "How sweet. Xylen tells me you are very close to Angus."
"Yes..." Melanie whispered," I try to give him all the love I can spare."
"I also hear you've a gentlemen caller. Who is he?"
"A boy...from Ramblings..."
"I didn't know Annette had a son."
"She doesn't. She's like his foster mother, really. Phillip. Phillip Dufour."
Dresella about choked on her breakfast when she heard this. "The Vicomte's son?!"
"Yes, I suppose."
"Oh, Melanie, darling!" Melanie's arms flailed when her mother awkwardly wrapped her arms around her. "He'll have supper here tonight! Is he calling?"
"Yes, to come riding-"
"Perfect! I wish to meet him! Why didn't you tell me sooner?! Haha, it doesn't matter now. I will rest until then."
"Actually, Mother, there's something I wanted to ask you."
"Yes, child?" Dresella hissed while rifling through her jewelry box.
"...A few friends of mine...we'll there's this acting camp..."
"Where?"
"Ohio," Melanie replied.
Dresella's head snapped up. "Darling, that's dreadfully far away. Could you handle yourself?"
"Of course-"
"Darling, I don't think so."
"Mother, I-"
"I know you couldn't handle yourself. Darling, your so young and fragile. You know why we stay on the plantation."
"I know, but-"
"That's right, to keep you safe and sound, dear. I guess I always knew this day was coming...I knew that soon you'd want to leave the nest. Soon, but not yet."
"But-"
"Trust me, love. I always know best. It's a scary world out there. And look at you dear! Sloppy, under dressed, immature, clumsy, please, they'll eat you up alive. Gullible, naive, positively frumpy, ditsy and a bit well vague. Plus, I believe, your gettin' kinda chubby. I'm only saying this, because I love you. I understand, and I'm here to help you all I have is one request. Melanie?"
"...Yes?"
"Don't ever ask to leave Ardely again."
"...Yes, Mother."
Dresella leaned down and kissed her mother's forehead."I love you very much, darling."
Melanie smiled. "I love you more."

"I love you most." Dresella kissed her daughter again. "Go on now dear, get on with your day."
***
     After rehearsal, Mammy drove Phillip and Melanie home to Ardely. He had lunch with Melly by the lake, then Melanie changed for riding.
When she returned, Phillip let a low whistle. "I must have the prettiest gal in the whole County."
"Just the county?" Melanie pouted.
"I meant the world. Aw, sugar, don't be like that," Phillip lifted Melanie on to her snow white horse. "You're always the prettiest. The prettiest to me. Always." Melanie smiled.
"Well, I forgive you."
"You do look beautiful, Melly."
"You've told me I'm pretty enough times now, Philly. Get on the horse."
     Melanie did look pretty. She knew it. She had on her long riding skirt. It was royal blue with red hems. The blazer was matching, with plaid pocket rims. She had a navy beanie on her head, and her long blonde hair was in a braid with several red ribbons woven in it. The outfit not only made her eyes glow, but made her red lips look normal and beautiful. Like they were there purposefully.
     Melanie threw her skirt around the horse in a graceful way. She, a young girl, was forced to ride side saddle. Ever since she was five and Mammy saw Papa teaching her to jump.
"Young ladies don't ride at all, Mr. Rene."
"What if I teach her to ride side saddle. So her skirt won't blow up. And buy her the prettiest riding outfit the South has ever seen!" he cried, throwing his daughter into the air. She laughed and laughed as her gold curls bounced and her father tickled her.
    Melanie held fast to Phillip as the horse sped off.
"Do you even know how to steer a horse?" Melanie asked, having a hard time keeping her beanie on.
"Yes, Melly. I know."
"You're going awful fast," she screamed into the wind.
"I know! It's great!"
***
The two had wandered into a part of the forest that didn't belong to Ardely property.
"I've never been this far off grounds before..." she mumbled. There was a stream Melanie put her feet in as she stared angrily at the riding boots Mammy insisted she wear.
They're not even boots! Just clanky high heels!
She angrily stuffed them back onto her feet as the white horse drank from the stream.
"This is gorgeous," Phillip murmured.
"Prettier than me?" Melanie teased.
"Nothing is prettier than you." Melanie rolled her eyes.
Phillip helped Melanie up on the horse, and she sat there, letting the sun touch her though the trees, until she shifted, disliking the heat. Phillip stared up at her, smiling.
"What?" Melanie asked, catching his eye.
"...What if we got married?"
"What?" Melanie asked, the smile slinking off her face.
"Not now! Obviously, I mean. But one day. Haven't you thought about that? Isn't that what girls think about?"
"Well...yes, I suppose. I guess...I mean...I TRIED very hard NOT to let myself think it."
"Why?"
"...I was worried...it would hurt more then...Ya know?"
"Yeah...I know. Wouldn't it be great though, Melly?"
"I guess...tell me about it."
"We'd live in France-"
"I've always wanted to live in France..."
"You'd live in our little mansion. I'd come home around whenever I wanted. We'd have kids..."
"Kids means-" Melanie blushed at her thought. She blushed harder at the thoughts of Phillip. Phillip against her. Phillips lips...
"Yeah," Melanie sighed. "Sounds great."
"Great. You ask your mom about the camp?"
Melanie looked at her feet. "Yeah, about that...I don't think you should come to supper tonight."
"Why?"
"...Mother...doesn't want you too."
"Oh," Phillip said. "She doesn't even want to meet me?"
"She thinks you're too old."
"Oh...We should be getting back."
"Yeah...I'm driving this time."
"Whatever," Phillip laughed.
And they rode home in silence.
***
"You's been gone long enough. Where's Mista Philly?" Mammy asked.
"He went home."
"What?" Dresella hissed. She was walking down the staircase, dressed in a violet gown, her bright blonde hair piled on her head neatly. "Why?!"
"He wanted to," Melanie said, trying to pass her mother. This was not permitted. Dresella promptly slapped her eldest daughter across the face.
"You little brat! Why didn't you make him stay!"
"We broke up!" Melanie screamed. How many lies could she tell in a day? Enough to protect him. Enough to protect her.
"You little-" Dresella called Melanie several words which should never be repeated. Charlie stared, and wanted to run and save Melanie as Mother boxed her ears. Victoria didn't know what to do. She eventually left the room, tripping over one of Aggie's toys. He proceeded to scream and scream.
"Shut that damn brat up!" Dresella screamed. Aggie wailed louder. Xylen reached down and took the boy to the nursery. Charlie and Melanie had never heard Mother use such curse words. They had never seen mother so angry or violent. No child had ever gotten beaten in such a way.
     Melanie screamed as Dresella got a fist full of Melly's hair and started dragging the girl up the stairs. Throwing open the door to her bed room, Dresella threw her oldest daughter's body in the room and locked the door.
"You'll be lucky if you get supper three nights from now! You sit in there and you think about what you've done!"
***
Melanie had washed her hair and was brushing it. She winced as the brush ran over a spot where hair had been ripped out. The side of her face were her ear was bleeding from her Mother's rings. Melanie and cleaned and tended it. It wouldn't scar. Melanie didn't change into her nightgown that night. She pulled on a pair of black trousers and a white dress shirt. It was too big and probably Charlie's.
     Melanie was not too shocked to see Phillip flying through her window again that night. She sat on her bed, just staring at the mirror.
"Hey, Mel-...Melly? Melly...what's wrong?"
"I can't stay here anymore, Phillip."
"I don't understand. What happened?...God, Melly, you're bleeding."
"You have to take me away."
"Take you where?"
"Phillip! I can't stay in this house anymore! I can't! I'm running away...I need you to help me."
"...What do you need?"
"Money. Just enough bus fare-"
"To where?"
"New York. More specifically, here." Melanie pointed to the spot on the map on her wall.
"Coney Island?"
"Aunt says it's wonderful there. Aunt Josie. Papa's sister. There's an amusement park. Dragostea. I have to go."
"...Fine. But I'm taking you."
"Phillip-"
"Let me. Or no deal. I won't stay unless you ask it of me. Alright? I'll leave you at Coney to set off for your own."
"...Thank you, Phillip.  I won't forget you."
"You better not."
***
"I had no idea New York City was this BIG," Phillip whispered to Melanie. "Everyone looks like they want to hurt me."
"I'm sure they do. Look, just up here is Coney. Just a ways farther."
Three more miles and they were at the gates of the Dragostea theme park and freak show.
"So this is it..." Melanie whispered.
"Knock," Phillip urged. Melanie hesitated, and Phillip obnoxiously beat the knocker. Soon, a pale girl started up the drive. Her hair was jet black, like her eyes. "Who are you and what do you seek?"
"I'm Phillip-"
"I asked the girl," she had an odd tinkling voice an a lip piercing. Her lips were pure violet, no lip stain.
"I'm Melanie...Wilkes. I seek refuge."
"What can you provide?"
"I'm theatrically inclined."
"Can you sing?"
"Yes."
"...We will see how well, tomorrow. Come." The dark haired girl held out a hand for Melanie to take. She did and Melanie didn't flinch at coldness of her hand.
"And as for the boy..." two others came up. One was a tall man, all clothed in black, another a muscular man with tattoos and piercings.
"Melanie...Melanie!"
"Phillip!"
The two men took Phillip and carried him away out of view of Melanie. Out of range. She couldn't hear if he was calling out or not.
   The dark haired girl pulling on Melanie's hand. Melanie took that as a signal to walk on.
"Don't worry. They won't kill him. Whether or not he lives...is up to God."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"...What happened then? At Coney?" Penny asked.
Melanie stared out the window and stretched. Her face looked long and thin after her story, the nostalgia making her sick.
"The plane is landing. And I assume the rest of the story will be revealed in due time."
"Is that it there?" JJ asked, pointing out the window. Melanie looked down and smiled.



"Welcome to the Cirque."















Kk guys. This is not the end of the Coney story. Unfortunately, it's only the beginning. It's hardly begun.
*This is just Mammy's way of speaking 'child'. If you see any misspelled words in Mammy's dialogue, they're supposed to be misspelled. This is her way of speaking. I'm trying to go for the southern cliched black nurse maid. How'm I doin?

-MEG

No comments:

Post a Comment